Tuesday 1 September 2015

Contained!

In one of the assessment rooms of Clinic D at the Juravinski Centre, there is a portion of a Robert Frost poem.  For the lover of Literature that I am (not one of those smartish ones but one who just loves it...), this is unsettling, interesting, distracting and insulting.  Not insulting to me but to Mr. Frost as I am certain this poem is being misinterpreted.  Either way, the poem portion serves to keep me distracted enough to ponder poetry rather than cancer during each visit.   While Paul is focussed on the purpose of our visit, I often wonder aloud about this poem over and over again;  I am quite certain that Paul appreciates our long waiting time. ;)

Poetry aside, today's visit felt like a good one.  We met with the oncologist today.  First we met up with his nurse to go over some questions and talk about the results of my tests last week.  I guess breast cancer can often spread to one's bones, liver and lungs but all my results from last week were clear.  Praise God for that!  So the cancer is contained!  Wonderful.   Then we found out that the name of my cancer is invasive ductal breast cancer which is the type of breast cancer that 95% of women get.  Great; I don't want to have a unique, never-heard-of-before cancer!  Then the nurse left.

Before the oncologist came in, I guess I was getting emotional and had some tears showing.
"You guys okay?" he questioned as he came in and introduced himself.
"Yeah yeah," I assured, mopping up those rogue tears.
"Come here," he said and folded first me, then Paul into a giant hug.   Nice!

Skipping ahead....he then told us that he would like to check out some lymph nodes before beginning chemo so that he could know better what cocktail of chemo to put together for me.  Therefore, he would feel much more comfortable if we began with surgery.  Surgery will be a single mastectomy due to the large amount of cancer present in that breast.   He said that he would like to discuss my case further with the surgeon concerning the order of treatment......surgery then chemo or chemo then surgery.....both followed by radiation.  So, we wait until next Tuesday to find out what that will be.
"So......what do we do now?" I questioned at the conclusion of our visit.
"Go home and enjoy your Labor Day weekend!" the oncologist stated.  Paul and I went home feeling very positive.  We had planned to camp with our children and friends this weekend and now we can!

We are so thankful for God's mercies on this scary and dark road.  Thankful that the cancer is contained, thankful that the doctors are familiar with this type of cancer, thankful that we live so close to the Juravinski Centre.  Most of all, we thank God for being with us.

Are we scared?  Worried?  Terrified to lose a part of my body?  Absolutely.  I have a needle phobia and break into a cold sweat at the thought of all the injections every doctor keeps referring too.  I don't want to lose a breast and then my hair....but, one day at a time.....  I will rejoice over today and pray for strength for tomorrow.  Thank you for all your prayers and messages.  We are so blessed to be surrounded by you.

"The LORD himself goes before you and will be with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you.  Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged."  Deuteronomy 31: 8

And the (entire) poem by Robert Frost:

The Road Not Taken

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;

Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same,

And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back.

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

13 comments:

  1. Brigette,

    Thanks for sharing. May God grant you all the strength and courage that you need. We will keep remembering you and your family in our prayers.

    Garth and Alida

    ReplyDelete
  2. News to be thankful for! Wishing you much strength on the path that lies ahead, but first enjoy your weekend with family and friends! We continue to remember you all in our prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thinking of you and praying for you. May you receive comfort and strength from God. Have a blessed weekend with your family! That is such a blessing. Sending lots of hugs your way. xxoo from us all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So thankful for the positive news! May God's comfort be with you and your family. We continually pray for you, and have a great weekend with your family and friends!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looking forward to giving you a hug tomorrow without a fence. Good fences don't make good huggers...Get it? Shazam! Robert Frost would love me. Soo happy to hear about the containment. (so so so happy) You've got great hair, but you'll rock a good hat too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing Brigette! Must be difficult to put into writing also. Much strength hugs to you both from Beamsville!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So glad to hear it is contained. Still scary, but not quite as much!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for sharing your story. I will continue to pray for you, Paul, your children and extended families. May God give you the strength to endure whatever treatment is necessary.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We thank the Lord with you for some good news and we pray that you may receive all you need during the uncertain time ahead. May you receive comfort from knowing that the Lord is with you, that He will never leave or forsake you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We thank the Lord with you for some good news and we pray that you may receive all you need during the uncertain time ahead. May you receive comfort from knowing that the Lord is with you, that He will never leave or forsake you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Brigette and Paul,
    Thankful you had a positive visit! Enjoy your weekend away with your family and friends the best you can! Praying for more positive visits and much strength for the road ahead xo
    Rachel Kamstra

    ReplyDelete
  12. Paul and Brigette: It is a dark and scary road, but even in the valley of the shadow of death, our Shepherd walks with us and guides us. Just trust Him, He will never disappoint you or let you down. Now is the time your faith will pull you through. Just think of the thousands of prayers going up to God's throne for you and your family!
    Thea H

    ReplyDelete
  13. So thankful with you for the good news of the containment, and for the caring staff at the Juravinski. We will continue to bring your family before our Lord in prayer

    ReplyDelete