Friday 11 September 2015

Let's Call It Trouble!

Today was another day spent at the Juravinski Cancer Centre and I just have to say again that we are so thankful that we live close to this amazing facility!  We met with our oncologist and his nurse to discuss the next leg in our journey together and to give a name to the particular cancer that God has placed on our path.   The oncologist called it Stage III Invasive Ductal breast cancer.

Pause here.....if you have limited knowledge of the stages of cancer, stage 3 may sound scary.  Weeks ago, I would have run terrified to hear that my cancer is stage 3, but the last few weeks of reading up and researching so as to understand my condition better had me expecting this.  In my case, stage 3 is due to the fact that one of my tumors is larger than 5cm, NOT because the cancer has spread to other parts of my body.  The cancer, insofar as tests illustrate, is contained.

Okay, so the oncologist calls it Stage 3 Invasive Ductal cancer but let's you and I call it Trouble!

"I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace.  In this world you will have TROUBLE.  But take heart!  I have overcome the world."  John 16:33

So, Trouble has arrived and we have an earthly game-plan.  Chemotherapy will begin next Wednesday (even though that is our homeschool hike day!  Wah!) and will run every second Wednesday for a total of eight rounds/ sessions.  That should take us to December and then the doctors will book a mastectomy and then radiation.  It's a long road ahead and apparently, much of my hikes will occur in the halls of the Juravinski Centre.......

Trouble is here and will not get out of my path and we have another game-plan.   Trouble, you've already been overcome!  Tonight, Paul and I have peace knowing of God's assurances despite our troubles.  And, everyone, your prayers and thoughts and emails/ texts/ FB messages...they also assure us of God's presence.  God makes us brave.  God gives us courage and strength and so much of that is done through you.  Your kind words and prayers.  Your talks over the back fence.  The meals you bring, the care for our children and the love you send.   Thank-you and God bless you!




9 comments:

  1. You are travelling a journey with some twists and turns but knowing God is control and carrying you makes it possible. May God be with you, Paul and the kids.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thinking and praying for you, Paul and your kids.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Praying for you! Gods comfort be with you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Praying for you & your family Brigette!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Psalm 59 "But I will sing of your strength, in the morning I will sing of your love; for you are my fortress, my refuge in times of Trouble." Praying that you will sing in worship tomorrow and be assured of this truth!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Our family has been singing and reading Psalm 27 a lot lately, Brigette! May you be able to "Wait for the LORD; be strong and take heart and wait for the LORD." Praying for strength, courage and patience during these times of "Trouble". He is at your side!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Our family has been singing and reading Psalm 27 a lot lately, Brigette! May you be able to "Wait for the LORD; be strong and take heart and wait for the LORD." Praying for strength, courage and patience during these times of "Trouble". He is at your side!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This brings me to tears… tears of sadness for your journey and tears of joy for the hope you have and the peace conveyed through these words. I received your link from Jolanna, who asked me to pray for you. What a big family we have in Jesus! Praying for you, sister, even though we haven't met.

    ReplyDelete