Wednesday 2 September 2015

A Song without a Tune

I would like to share a song with you.  It is a song without a tune, which it would be anyways since I am posting it rather than singing or playing it, but it is significant to know that it has no tune.
Paul wrote it soon after the doctors had confirmed that I had breast cancer.  My Paul is a man who expresses himself the most eloquently through music and he had put his feelings into words and then grabbed his guitar to unite those words to music, but he could not.

"Ugh, Brig," he lamented, "I just can't put a tune to this.  These words can't be made into a song.  I don't know if the rhythm is off or what...."

That's a little like our lives right now.  Lots of words.  Big, scary, multi-syllabic words.  It's hard to make sense out of them or sort them into a rhythm and they certainly don't feel melodic.  But there they are...

Here is Paul's song without a tune:

Palace ( for Brigette )
1.I don't want to sing this song to you my love.
I don't want to voice these fears in my heart.
I never planned on not being beside you.
I never thought we could ever be apart.
In those moments when I feel my palace crumbling.
When my deepest prayer is on my lips.
And if I worship the ground that you walk on.
It's because I worship the one who placed you here.
In my life as rock that I rely on.
In who I find all the things that I hold dear.
2. I've never looked at you with anything but wonder.
I've never known someone who's heart was so pure.
When I see it shine in our children's eyes.
I can pretend that everything will be alright.
In these moments when I feel our palace strengthened
Sustained by the foundation that we've laid.
And if I worship the ground that you walk on.
It's because I worship the one who placed you here.
In my life as rock that I rely on.
In who I find all the things that I hold dear.
3.I will never let you go down this path alone love.
I will never let you lose that sparkle in your eye.
We will fight for all we have built up here.
And for the moments still waiting for us to find.
Because if I worship the ground that you walk on.
It's because I worship the one who placed you here.
In my life as rock that I rely on.
In who I find all the things that I hold dear.

"The LORD is my strength and my song; he has become my salvation."  Psalm 118: 14

6 comments:

  1. Frame it....it deserves a prominent place where Bridgette can see it every day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. He has become a poet 😍 praying for you all

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful! Thanks for sharing... Holding you all in prayer

    ReplyDelete
  4. So beautiful. May God bless you through this journey and bring you to complete healing. Holding you near in our hearts and in our prayers .

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is hard to put to music something you don't even want to say. Maybe one day when you've beaten this, looking back, he will be able to find music for it...

    ReplyDelete