Friday 29 October 2021

The Art of Convalescing Well: REST!


 Years ago, I read a book* about genetically mutated humans that NEVER needed sleep.

As a result, they were able to accomplish more, do more, be more than the rest of the human race. They were the "Sleepless" people who regarded the "Sleepers" as lesser than.

After reading this book, I aspired to be a Sleepless person.
"It's so genius!" I remember thinking. If I could eliminate sleep, just think of all I could do, see and accomplish!!👍👍
But.....we were not designed this way.
Humanity has been specifically fashioned to NEED sleep and rest.
Isn't that interesting?
Doesn't it seem like our Almighty Creator God could have developed a more efficient and sleeker design when He made us? One that didn't need to stop-drop-and-rest every few hours?
But he didn't and so we need sleep EVERY single day. We need rest and time to recover, recoup, and renew.
We come to the outer limits of ourselves, I think, so that we remember we are NOT doing life on our own. We are reminded that we need to be plugged into Someone or Something that recharges our bodies, souls, and minds.
And that Someone is God.
It's a little like my phone. It works great until the battery runs out. And then it doesn't work at all until I've left my phone plugged into it's charger for a while.
The need for rest keeps us plugged into God. It keeps us connected on a regular basis because we need that Every-Single- Day connection and reminder that we are never alone in this life.
Truth be told, I'm terrible at Resting. I resist and fight it tooth and nail. But in my life, I've been forced MANY times to REST....and it's done my body, my soul, and my mind good.
Doesn't it awe you that the best way to convalesce and heal is to rest? Not doing more, spending more, thinking more......just rest?
It reminds me that humanity has limitations and a great need for God.
So, today, may you and I find rest. May we be recharged and renewed for the day ahead. And may we always seek our daily connection to a God who provides our rest.
.
.
.
BV
*"Beggars in Spain" by Nancy Kress.

No comments:

Post a Comment