Thursday 16 March 2023

The Good Old Hockey Game??

 


The good old hockey game took a dark turn this past weekend...


I was rinkside in good Canadian style, decked out in my winter parka and toque, nursing a Tim's medium regular, cheering on my baby boy and his hockey teammates when I heard it:
Blood-curdling screams of raw rage ripped from the throat of the angriest eleven- year old I've ever seen. His shoulders curled in and he thrashed and slammed his stick on the ice over and over and over again.
And again.
I stopped clapping over the winning goal that my son's team had scored. I stopped because it was obvious that the screaming defenseman from the opposing team had lost control.
His screaming and stick-slamming continued and suddenly I realized: he's stuck.
This poor boy is out-of-control stuck.
But before I or anyone else could think or do or say anything, his teammate swooped in. Literally he skate-swooped in, slid a hockey-gloved arm around the screaming boy and HELD HIM.
It was part restraining hold, part hug and the screaming suddenly ceased.
His body slumped and relaxed in the tight hold, his stick clattered useless to the ice.
His teammate held him for a few more seconds.
"You good?" I imagine him whispering before letting go.
Then they both retrieved their hockey sticks and skated to the bench.
The moment passes so quickly and could have easily been lost and forgotten in a game that was nail-biting, exciting, and fast.
But, for me, it's the most memorable moment of the game.
The moment when one teammate is in DESPERATE need of help, and another one shows up.
That's teamwork at its finest, isn't it? Friendship at its best. Hockey or any other sport showing its most beautiful side.
Because goals are important, assists are amazing; saves are special and penalties perhaps are best forgotten.....but it's the teamwork and showing up for each other and being there for one another when we need help, that's the stuff of memories!
The good old hockey game took a dark turn this weekend. But, thanks to a teammate, the darkness was pushed back and did not win.
Kindness and teamwork and love did.
.
.
.
bv

No comments:

Post a Comment