Thursday 30 December 2021

Good-bye, not Good Riddance. A Reflection on 2021.


I confess: I spent too much time and energy wishing away the days of 2021. 

When lockdowns happened, I eagerly looked ahead to their ending.

When group sizes were reduced, I bemoaned their tiny gathering sizes and planned parties for the future.

When things got cancelled, shut down, or re-arranged, I had adult-sized temper tantrums that may have included ugly crying.

There were fires, there were floods, there was the discovery of mass, unmarked graves of indigenous children; there was division, there was unrest, there were families and churches dividing and I kept looking ahead to the time when this would All. Be.Over.

And in the process of wishing away the bad and the ugly, I’ve also been wishing away the good. 

Covid, natural disasters, and the revelation of horrible historical moments have not been the only things and events that have defined 2021.

In 2021, my family continued to grow older; we celebrated birthdays and anniversaries, healed from surgery or injury, lost teeth, got a driver’s license. My church continued to worship God online and offline; we sang new songs, prayed together, and continued to find creative ways to reach out into the community.  My neighbours continued to walk their dogs; to share baking and books and stories.  My homeschool group continued to hike, explore, study, and play sports.  My sons played hockey. My daughter rode horses. My husband worked more often from home. And, even against the backdrop of so many challenges and hardships this past year, there have been pockets of joy and much to cherish.

So I won’t say Good Riddance to 2021. Only Good-bye.

Though many parts of 2021 were messy and difficult, I don’t want to wish away this one wild and precious life that God’s given me. I want to live. I want to cherish all the moments: the good, the bad, even the ugly.

And I encourage you to do the same.

Life is way too short to be wished away.

Instead, let’s abide by the words of Psalm 90:12: “So teach us to number our days that we may get a heart of wisdom.”

Every single one of us – from the 94 year old great-grandfather to the tiniest newborn baby – are sojourners of this earth. We’re born. We live. We die. Our stay is fleeting and temporary, so let’s live our lives well. Let’s live trusting that God is in control. Let’s live confident that God walks alongside us through trials, troubles, and joy.  Let’s seek out and share beauty, kindness, encouragement, and love. Let’s live abundantly. We have only one lifetime to do so.


And as the time-sands of 2021 dwindle away, let’s look back and reflect before moving forward into 2022. Let’s each look to ourselves and ask: what have I learned and how have I grown in the last year?

1.    What has been hard?

2.    What been wonderful?

3.    What tools helped me through difficulties and enabled me to celebrate the good?

4.    How have these experiences shaped me, my relationship with God, and my relationships with others?  

My friends, this past year was not a waste of time. This past year was not a furtive unfolding that existed outside of God’s control and plans, nor was it an accumulation of days to be discarded or dismissed.

Instead, 2021 was a monumental year of memories and moments that challenged us, strengthened us, weakened us, grew us, revealed our hearts.

So, don’t say Good Riddance.

Instead reflect on 2021 – number your days, gain that wisdom - then say Good-bye.



.

.

bv

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment