Wednesday 24 May 2017

For the Love of Learning

It is an absolutely humbling and amazing experience to be educating the next generation.  I love it and one of my greatest goals is to pass on a love and a passion for learning.   I discovered a gorgeous quote that encompasses the educational experience that I endeavor to pass on:  "....true education begins in WONDER and ends in WISDOM" (Kevin Clark and Ravi Scott Jain).   There is just SO much discovering to be had and some of the ways in which we explore this world is by:

- Poring over Bible verses together and counting how many times a word is repeated and what God wants us to learn from that.

- Dropping mentos into a giant bottle of Diet Coke, shaking it and standing back to enjoy the sticky, icky explosion that follows.  Then doing this 7 more times because sticky explosions are a fantastic part of science!

- Hiking, hiking and hiking some more because nature is growing and blooming and bursting with life lessons.  

- Listening to books on CD in the car as we drive to swimming lessons or piano lessons and chuckling together over the broad Yorkshire accent of the actor reading the story:  "I just love the moor.  It's none bare.  It's covered wi' growin' things as smells sweet.  It's fair lovely in spring an' summer when th' gorse an' broom an' heather's in flower." 

- Being willing and open to my own continued education.  Learning never ends and I love it when the kids are able to teach me about something new, fascinating and wonderful.  Reciprocated learning.  I teach them; they teach me.  We learn together.

So, today I taught about fractions and three-dimensional shapes; and today I learned all about the skill of fart-noise-production.   My youngest is especially passionate about this and he patiently explained how to create musical noises with one's armpit.  His lesson began with a vigorous demonstration and it was very inspirational, I tell you!
"Flurt flurt flurt flurt," he flurted.
"Now you try, mom!"

His eyes were brilliantly blue and filled with eager expectation.  (I teach you; you teach me.)
I imitated his form by cupping my right armpit and pumping that bent arm up and down.  Robustly.   Then I switched and tried with the left armpit.  This is not an easy skill, people.  A few wet splurps blipped forth but nothing very substantial.
My son patiently adjusted my hand and reassured me that practice makes perfect.
So I tried again.  (Teacher made student.  Student made teacher.)
The other kids got in on the lesson.
Apparently they all have their PhD in this skill.
My one son can make fart noises with both armpits, the backs of his knees, his ears and eye-sockets.  I am so proud.
Our house carried a curious chorus today.  A pulsing rhythm resonating from body parts.  It may not be Shakespeare but it sure was fun.
And that's what learning is all about.


No comments:

Post a Comment