Sunday 30 October 2016

Sharing

For several months, I taught Grade 1.

This was quite some time ago and I was taking over the maternity leave of a woman who is now a close friend.  These kids that I taught in Grade 1 are now sporting facial hair and driving vehicles, but that is another story for another day.  The point is that while I was teaching, these kids taught me a wonderful lesson.  Actually they often chanted this lesson in sing-song, squeaky Grade 1 voices: "sharing is caring" they would squeak, usually whilst holding out grubby hands to receive some sort of snack or goodie.

This lesson came back to me today when I read a poem entitled "Sharing".  Ironically, this poem is found inside a book that someone shared with me today.  Look at all that caring going on!

Here goes:

Sharing (Author Unknown)

There isn't much that I can do, but I can share my bread with you, and sometimes share a sorrow, too - as on our way we go.

There isn't much that I can do, but I can sit an hour with you, and I can share a joy with you, and sometimes share reverses, too - as on our way we go.

There isn't much that I can do, but I can share my flowers with you, and I can share my books with you an sometimes share your burdens, too - as on our way we go.

There isn't much that I can do, but I can share my songs with you, and I can share my mirth with you, and sometimes come and laugh with you - as on our way we go.

There isn't much that I can do, but I can share my hopes with you, and I can share my fears with you, and sometimes shed some tears with you, - as on our way we go.  

There isn't much that I can do, but I can share my friends with you, and I can share my life with you, and oftentimes share a prayer with you, - as on our way we go.


You and I can't erase hurts.  Only God can wipe away every tear.  But God has given us one another and surely we can do some sharing.  Can't we?
Like, a little food can go a long way.  As can moments of our time.
Let's not be too busy to stop and share our stories: our joy, our hope, our sorrows.
Let's be ready to share encouraging words, uplifted prayers, pieces of our life that show our love.  

Because, like some wise little people once told me, Sharing IS Caring.

BV

Dedicated to Freda O.  Thanks for sharing your books with me!


2 comments:

  1. Not to make you feel old or anything, but my oldest son was one of your grade 1 students! I'll have to ask him if he remembers "sharing is caring".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I remember, Lisa! He's one of the ones that I am thinking of with facial hair and licenses!!!!

      Delete