Thursday 28 April 2016

My Calico Dreams.

Right now, I am resting.....if by resting, you mean typing.  
I was resting earlier....if by resting, you mean washing a wall.
I think I have a resting problem.
My mom is a good mom and she is well aware of this.  
"Have you napped today?" she will query if she is visiting me.  She will lean in close with narrowed eyes and examine me, "You look tired.  You should nap.  Go nap.  For at least an hour!"
Mothers.  They never stop mothering, do they?  They know their children and mine certainly knows me.
So does my sister, Crystal.
She's a sneaky one though and she innocently questions my children.
"So, Liam.  Does your mom nap after radiation?"
"Yeah, sometimes."
"Does she nap for a LONG time?"
"Uh, I dunno.  I think so."

It's not that I am trying to be difficult or a hero or anything like that....I just like doing things rather than resting.  And there are so many things to do!!
But, let me assure you, (mom and Crystal), I do nap.  There have been days when the radiation and healing has just left me T.I.R.E.D.  And then, I drop, flop and roll onto my belly and sleep!

"Kids, do you wanna go watch tv or something?" I will slur sleepily in their general direction.
"YEAH!" they will screech and run toward the brain-sucking-box.  Once it is on, they are slack-jawed and mesmerized.  Silence settles in with a sigh and I run to my bed.  I swan dive onto it.

Seconds pass and I am feeling a good doze come on when my friendly companion jumps onto the bed to join me.

"Meow?" she always politely asks as she pads soundlessly towards me.

She is a pretty, little, calico cat named Kit-Kat.  She hangs out in our bedroom, scared to death of our dog and his crazy, high energy and slobbery affections.  When I receive physio in my room, she likes to help out and her version of helping out often involves licking my exposed armpit.  

** ASIDE:  if you have NEVER had your armpit licked by a cat before, you just HAVE NOT lived!!!**  

When I am napping though, there are no armpits to lick so Kit-Kat keeps her tongue to herself.  She walks up my back and settles in.  If you have a cat, you know that settling in means she will begin kneading the area where she wants to sleep.  Yes, kneading!  Cats knead or push in and out with their front paws; left paw then right paw....to prepare their sleeping spot.  Once this is done, she will curl her tail around her body and begin to doze.  She is purring and warm.  It's like having a pre-sleep massage and then a heated, vibrating blanket put on me and it feels wonderful.  

There are days when I wonder if she is working in cahoots with my mom and sister.
Maybe they have pulled her aside and offered her kitty-treats-on-the-sly.

I can just picture them cornering my calico cat and whispering in her fluffy ears:
"Psst....Kit-Kat...get that girl to sleep and there will be plenty of rewards coming your way!"

Whether she is being paid off or not, Kit-Kat is most certainly doing her part to help out around here. I am so thankful for the people and the animals in my life who look out for me!
And, today, I hope that you are surrounded by others, be they human or beast, who give you loads of love when you need it!

:) 
Brigette
(here is Kit-Kat sleeping on my back!)



No comments:

Post a Comment