Monday 18 January 2016

Brigette's List

I am a list person.
I love lists.  Lists keep me organized and scheduled.  Lists help me order thoughts that would otherwise butterfly away into chaos.  Lists keep me calm, on time (sort of) and ordered.
So it is natural for me to have made another list in the back of a lovely notebook I received at the beginning of my cancer diagnosis.
This is a list of people; a list of people I know who have fought or are currently still fighting cancer.
My mom, Afke, is on this list.
My dear friend is on this list.
Some women who have become dear friends are on this list.
My cousin's wife is here.....
Herman Faber is here.

I did not write this list to stay scheduled or on time; I wrote this list to see some fellow fighters.
Fellow Cancer Warriors.
To feel encouraged that this journey I am on has been done before.  It is being done right now.  Many of these Cancer Warriors have had cancer in the past and are living the life that God has given them to the fullest now, cancer-free.
I have met with some of these people and they have been so supportive and encouraging; offering up words cloaked in the wisdom that comes with experience.....
"Make sure you have button-up shirts for after surgery!"
"Do those arm exercises after surgery!  They helped me so much."
"Here is a wonderful lotion for your scars.  It's great.  I loved it!"

My list of people includes Cancer Warriors who are still fighting right now.  My mom is part of this list.  We encourage each other from hospital waiting rooms.  We compare tests and results, bruises and bandaids.  We bow our heads and exchange prayers for each other....our whispered words passing each other in the night.

My list of people includes Cancer Warriors who have passed on into glory.  Their bodies could no longer fight.  My brother and sister-in-law's father (Tim & Cara) is on this list.  Herman Faber.  We had walked our cancer walk, fought our cancer fight together for months now.  Inquired into each other's tests.  Shared results.  Checked in on one another at the Juravinski Centre.   Texted or emailed each other encouraging Bible verses....
But God called Herman home.  Last week was a sad week when so many family and friends gathered to sow Herman's body and to mourn his loss.   He will be missed so much.

Some time ago, someone mysteriously placed a poem into my church mailbox.  If this was from you, thank-you.  It hangs on my kitchen wall.

I would like to share this poem:

What Cancer Cannot Do

Cancer is so limited
It cannot cripple love, it cannot
shatter hope.
It cannot corrode faith, it cannot
destroy peace.
It cannot kill friendship, it cannot
suppress memories.
It cannot silence courage, it cannot
invade the soul.
It cannot steal eternal life, 
it cannot conquer the spirit.

Whoever gave me this poem, also placed between each line, these words from Romans 8:37-39:

"Yet in all these things we are more than conquerors through Him who loved us.  For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life....nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come, nor height, depth, nor any created things, shall be able to separate us from the love of God which is in Christ Jesus our LORD."  

My favourite part of Romans 8: 37-39 is the "more than conquerors" part.   Every warrior dreams of conquering.  Cancer "cannot conquer the spirit" but when we follow God, we are MORE than conquerors through Him!  That is awesome.  Take heart!

Herman, you have fought the good fight and you have more than won!  I hope you are playing a victory song on your tambourine!  God called you home before your loved ones were ready to let you go, but God called you home according to His schedule.   You are still on my list, Herman.  Thanks for often thinking of me when you had enough to worry about already.  Thanks for your encouragements and prayers!  It was an honour to have known you.


"He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will abide in the shadow of the Almighty."
Psalm 91: 1





2 comments:

  1. Beautiful. So true. I'm so glad God is our truth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cancer Warriors! I love it. Our little Evelyn is definitely that. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and your heart with us. God bless you.

    ReplyDelete